Terrorists are in for a shock: their sources of funding are being blocked, the Federal Government has said.
Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami (SAN) attributed the success recorded so far in the battle against insurgency to the crippling of terrorism financing.
Speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on the sidelines of the ongoing United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York, United States, the minister restated that Boko Haram had been “decimated to a large extent”.
He also hinted at the possibility of filing fresh charges against Yoruba Nation agitator Sunday Adeyemo, popularly called Igboho.
On funding of insurgency, Malami said: “The terrorist funding and financing has indeed been crippled substantially and that eventually translated to some major improvements being recorded as far as crippling the strength of terrorists is concerned within the nation.
“You can see visibly that we are indeed witnessing tremendous success associated with the Boko Haram, which translate to significant decimation of the Boko Haram terrorists.
“They (Boko Haram) have been decimated to a larger extent and you can see what is unfolding as far as the North West banditry activities are concerned.”
Malami said the Federal Government has identified those who are responsible for financing terrorism in the country.
According to him, an “aggressive” investigation is being conducted that is “positively” impacting the fight against terrorism in the country.
Malami would not disclose details of the ongoing investigation because it will undermine the “success” being recorded.
He said: “We have succeeded in identifying those that are responsible for funding terrorists.
“We have also blocked the leakages associated with the funding and then embarking on an aggressive investigation that is indeed impacting positively in terms of the fight against terrorism.
“But then, the truth of the matter is that investigation is ongoing, advancing and for the purpose of investigation, I wouldn’t like to be pre-emptive in terms of making disclosures that would have the effect of undermining the successes we are recording as far as investigation is concerned.”
Malami said the arrest and detention of alleged terrorism financiers will be legally backed by judicial process.
“One thing I can tell you for sure is that whatever we do in terms of detention and in terms of arrest is indeed backed by judicial process.
“We have indeed obtained a legitimate court order taking into consideration what we have presented before the court; the court eventually exercised its discretion in terms of granting orders that we can have them in custody.
“This is pending the conclusion of the investigation, which investigation, in essence, is indeed deeply taking place and we are making a lot of successes and recording a lot of progress in the direction of the investigation.”
The minister said fresh charges may be filed against Igboho, whom an Oyo state high court awarded N20 billion as “exemplary and aggravated damages” against the Federal Government over the raid on his Ibadan home on July 1.
Two persons were said to have been killed, while 12 others were arrested following the raid.
Malami said the Federal Government’s position on the judgment was about “law and jurisdiction”.
“Obedient to court orders and court judgments have to be understood within the context that there are associated rights and interests that are vested in the Federal Government.
“This is inclusive of rights of appealing against a judgment, inclusive of the right to file an application for setting aside the purported judgment and order.
“And indeed, it is inclusive of the possibility of filling a fresh action if indeed the jurisdiction of the court that was alleged to have indeed handed that judgment is an issue.
“So, we are doing the needful in terms of looking at the law as it exists and then working within the context of the law in ensuring that justice is done as far as the contending issues between the parties are concerned.”