A building located on Cachol Street in the Ojo area of Lagos State has been engulfed in flames following a gas explosion, resulting in significant property damage.
Reports indicate that the fire originated from a camp gas explosion within the eight-room bungalow.
Amodu Shakiri, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Services, confirmed the incident to the media on Saturday.
According to Shakiri, the explosion occurred while one of the occupants was cooking in the corridor of the building.
He explained, “The building was severely burnt, including its contents, after a camp gas used for cooking exploded. It was observed that the passage was being used as a makeshift kitchen since there was no designated kitchen area. We discovered at least six camp gas cylinders at the scene.”
The fire service received the distress call around 9:05 am and effectively contained the fire within the affected building, preventing it from spreading to neighboring structures.
Shakiri further acknowledged the crucial role played by officers from the Ojo military cantonment who provided support and ensured the safety of the firefighting team.
Fortunately, all occupants of the building managed to escape unharmed, resulting in no casualties.
The incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers associated with gas usage and emphasizes the importance of adhering to safety protocols when handling gas cylinders.
Efforts will continue to ensure the safety of affected residents and assess the extent of the property damage caused by the fire.
The incident underscores the need for continuous public awareness campaigns on fire safety and responsible gas usage to prevent similar incidents and safeguard lives and property within the community.